Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Loser Humans


I am really hesitant to write about the dog pictured here today-my staff is calling her Sunshine, but no one knows her real name. I am so angry about the situation that brought her to our hospital and me even mentioning her here just gives attention to the loser humans associated with her. Yes, I am being harsh with them and that just isn't usually my nature. But when it comes to the welfare of animals, I go a little ballistic.

When we came back from lunch yesterday, we found Sunshine tied to the picnic bench outside our back door. There was no note, no tags or microchip identified her-nothing. I know that times are tough, her so-called owners could have lost their jobs or have medical problems of their own. Did their property flood recently and they are now homeless? Maybe Sunshine has health issues too costly for them to deal with. She might not get along with cats and they have a beloved Persian or something. But how would we know any of this? If they had called and asked, we could have sent them to rescue groups (she appears to be a purebred Basset Hound) for help and advice. We could have utilized some of our Flake's Angel Fund money if they had made it known they were destitute. You know by now how my staff and I will go out of our way to work with people to find solutions to problems like these. But this act of abandonment, so passive aggressive and manipulative is the lowest form of human behavior. At this point I don't care what their "story" is. Can you tell this makes me just a bit crazy? Sorry. I guess I'm in a mood today.

Stories like this are unfortunately becoming more and more common in this terrible economy. We've seen a box full of kittens on the door stop in the morning or a new "client" claiming they forgot their checkbook after an appointment, running home to get it, only to never show up again, all phone numbers left as contacts being bogus. I've seen news stories about even bigger problems, people unable to afford their horses, can't sell them or even give them away. There are no longer any slaughter facilities in this country for horses (another story for another time and debate....) so people have actually turned their pets loose on government land, hoping they will be able to fend for themselves. So scary for those poor horses-just what are people thinking?

People must believe that leaving a once beloved pet (we hope Sunshine was loved at one time) at a veterinary hospital will result in a happy ending; veterinary staff love animals after all. But I have asked my staff to be responsible pet owners-that means not having more pets than they can afford to take care of and therefore are good examples to our clients. Personally, I have to do that as well. I can't take in every stray or unwanted critter as much as my heart tugs me to-I have pets of my own to care for, have a home with a mortgage, a business and employees I am responsible for. Drugs and supplies, food, utilities- everything is more expensive these days, and my suppliers aren't giving me any breaks; how can I be expected to?

I'm not going to tell "the rest of the story" about Sunshine simply because I don't want those humans to feel justified in leaving her here with us. They abandoned her, and don't deserve to know if she was euthanized, taken to the pound, or given to a family with 19 kids and loving humans who will care for her all the days of her life. They should have big tattoos across their foreheads that state they are no longer allowed to own pets, ever, because they can't be trusted to provide basic care for them. I know it can be embarrassing to ask for help when you are down on your luck-believe me, I've been there. But if it is for the sake of a friend, especially one who relies on you so completely as a pet does, well, you swallow your pride and just ask. Anyone who knows me and my staff knows we wouldn't judge the people who come to us and sincerely want to find a solution to a crummy situation. But you can bet we are "judging" these people....rightly or wrongly. Being judgmental isn't a great character trait to admit to having, but there you go. My dog still loves me :)

Peace,
DrReneigh

No comments: